Sunday, January 6, 2008

Facebook: The Obsession. Chapter 1: How I Lost My Job

Loyal readers, this week I capitulated to the overwhelming force of nature of networking (read: people collecting) websites. I got a page on facebook.

And I am out of control.

I was on the phone with one of you at the time, and on a whim, just logged on and got started. This power overtook me instantly. I immediately tuned out of the conversation, and the few sentences I formed in the 2 more minutes I was on the phone were slurred and incomplete. That actually describes pretty well how I have felt ever since.

I can't pull myself off. I am consumed with checking if I have a "new" "friend." I keep adding new applications to my page, keep getting sucked into silly games and pointless quizzes. There is an upside to this: I have connected with a couple of people that I haven't seen or spoken to in 10-12 years! And that means alot to me (see my post Ode to Kelley German). But getting paid also means alot to me, and my children, and if this doesn't run its course soon, I might be on one of your doorsteps with my two kids in tow, and of course, my laptop.

If you are unconcerned about my employment status, whether my house is clean or not, or essentially if I have a real life, come check it out. Go ahead, enable me.

No comments: