Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Please don't kill the messenger

We are going to take a quick break from the riveting drama of my screenplay to talk for just a moment about a very important subject. This has been on my mind for quite some time, and in this day and age, we need to come together about the things that are truly important, do we not?

I have a real thing with messenger bags.

I cannot stay silent any longer. There is something so undefinably, post-millenially sexy about a man who is carrying a messenger bag! Walking along, going somewhere, leaving somewhere, with the strap stretching from one shoulder down to the opposite waist, carrying who knows what ... I mean really. What are they carrying in those things? A laptop? Very important papers? LPs from an erstwhile vinyl shop? Various metro products? Copies of a journal? Who knows, but whatever it is, it is way too important to leave at home. One cannot carry all such important things in one's arms while one is walking to and fro, so one wears a messenger bag. And one instantly becomes 82% sexier for wearing it.

I have always had an appreciation for the "man bag" but I think my love affair started the moment I first saw Jim Halpert rise from his office chair after a long day of pining for Pam, turn and in one fluid motion, sling his messenger bag over his shoulder and secure it on his back. My eyes are fluttering even as I write this.

So, for those of you who are at once culturally hip, secure in your manhood, and a safe distance away from me (that's about three of you), and for the rest of you who should be well educated in the finer points of the issue, I will be introducing you to three bags that will rock your face off. Here is the first:


Burton Mess Pack Wool Messenger

This is for the interminably hip metropolitan who walks everywhere, wears an impossible number of layers, and rotates his eyewear between the bold frames and the wireless frames, depending on his mood. Must keep an extra bottle of pomade in the bag to fix the hair should you take some extra wind around the turn of a corner.

$80 at urbanoutfitters.com



P.S. Could someone show me how to put more than one image into a post at once? I've been like Phyllis Diller over here trying to put the second image in!



1 comment:

vegas said...

Where are the other two bags?
I'm curious if my Triple 5 Soul messenger with the camouflage patch work and 1940's "pin-up girl" artwork has made the cut. with that bag i am kinda going for the "retro-metro."
:)