Friday, August 1, 2008

Could somebody turn a light on in here?

Still talking about Martha ...

I said something in my previous post that I think needs an addendum. I wrote, "Jesus loved Martha. He just didn't want her to think that her doing would do Him - or her - much eternal good." I've been thinking about this today, because, as a single mother, all I do is work. From 6:30 in the morning till 11:30 at night, most days, all I do is work. And I am constantly burdened by concerns of various kinds. Life is work, and some of the most rewarding parts of life are the things we reap from the work we do. There is much work that is good and the good is eternal. Surely, when Martha fed the Christ, she was doing an eternal good.

But it is not what redeemed her soul. THAT is what I realize I was trying to say.

Jesus did not want Martha to think that her doing would redeem her soul.

Will wax more eloquently soon ...

3 comments:

vegas said...

i enjoy the non-eloquent waxing.
life, as you know is not always eloquent - or even a John Hughes film. Life may be more liken to, lets say - a Variety Show.

Amo Ergo Sum said...

Is life also like a hotel room with mirrors on the ceiling? I don't mean to be crass, or unChristian, or unfunny even. I'm just askin'.

Justin said...

re: vegas's comment. a friend of mine is doing a sermon series he created called The Gospel According to John Hughes.

So far: Pretty in Pink, 16 Candles, Weird Science and this week is The B-fast Club.

Feel free to check him out at

http://anglobaptist.org/blog